Incompetency & Guardianship

Helping You With The North Carolina Guardianship Filing Process

At Surratt and Thompson, PLLC, our attorneys recommend planning ahead for the unexpected curve balls life may throw at you. With our help and expertise, we’ll guide you through the incompetency and/or guardianship legal processes.

We are always available to guide you through the process of estate planning and securing your financial future. But if someone you love has lost the capacity to handle their own affairs or communicate important decisions, our compassionate attorneys will guide you through the additional steps required. The State of North Carolina recognizes those individuals may need assistance in the form of a court-appointed guardian.

North Carolina Guardianship Information

Whether an individual has a petition filed against them, an individual is filing a petition against someone else, or they are appointed as a guardian for another individual, our attorneys make the legal process easier by assisting with the necessary paperwork, filings, court hearings, and more.

If an individual requires a court-appointed guardian, they can be a: 

  • General guardian
  • Guardian of the person
  • Guardian of the estate

A general guardian is one who is responsible for the incompetent person in addition to their estate. In some cases, the court will appoint one guardian of the person and a separate guardian of the estate.

When there are multiple guardians, the guardian of the person will handle all decisions related to the custody, care, and control of the ward, and the guardian of the estate will handle only the ward’s property, business endeavors, and finances.

The attorneys at Surratt and Thompson, PLLC, have a large number of guardianship cases for their clients. Attorney Bryan Thompson currently serves as the Public Guardian in Forsyth and Davie Counties.

File For Guardianship With Our Attorneys

Our attorneys are ready to assist you with applying for guardianship for your family member. We can represent individuals against whom a petition has been filed. Further, if you are appointed guardian for another individual, we can represent and assist you with the filing of the necessary paperwork, accounting, and petitions.

To get started on your specific case, contact our firm via email or by phone at 336-725-8323.